Here at SVC, we are proud of the everyday milestones our members are accomplishing. Every month, we round up your achievements to share with our community. Below, you’ll see just some of the impact our members are making in the world. Congratulations to our members, and keep up the great work!
- Cornerstone Capital Group has launched a mutual fund, the Cornerstone Capital Access Impact Fund. The fund is designed for investors who understand that all investments have impact and who want their investments to contribute to a more just and sustainable world while targeting long-term capital gains. CCIIX is an all-cap, diversified equity fund that allocates assets among multiple investment managers (sub-advisers). Each sub-adviser emphasizes a particular impact theme and/or employs environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria to their stock selections. The fund is fossil fuel free, tobacco free, and does not invest in controversial weapons or small firearms for civilians. The investment minimum for CCIIX is $1,000. You can also view this video of Cornerstone Capital Group Founder & CEO Erika Karp on “The State of Impact Investing“.
- A few SVC Members and Friends made it on Conscious Company’s 2020 World-Changing Women List! Congratulations to Rose Penelope Yee, Jenny Kassan, Sharon Rowe, Cheryl Contee, Holly Ruxin, Dr. Anita Sanchez, Natalie Rekstad, and more!
Congratulations to long-time SVC member Allen Bromberger on starting his own law practice! Working with his new partner Carly Leinheiser (also a member of SVC), Bromberger Law focuses on social ventures, advising clients that seek to do good while doing well, often using market-based business strategies. Now open for business, Bromberger Law handles all types of structures, whether non-profit, for-profit, or hybrid, advising such organizations on all matters from inception to exit. The firm represents entrepreneurs, advisors, charities, private foundations, funders, investors, intermediaries, DAFs, and fiscal sponsors in a wide variety of legal matters. Its client base is already growing, and they are excited about the future. Learn more at www.brombergerlaw.com and engage on Twitter or LinkedIn.
- Valarie Kaur joins Rainn Wilson and Reza Aslan on a Luminary podcast episode. To tune in, go here: luminarypodcasts.com
- Annarie Lyles is featured in this piece on Invest for Better, on the topic of Funding Solutions for the Environment. Read it here.
- Jenny Kassan just started a Qualified Opportunity Fund called Opportunity Main Street, a benefit corp designed to accept Opportunity Zone investments. Their first investment will be in a mixed-use real estate project in West Oakland, where their anchor tenants are social enterprises Radical Monarchs & Mamacitas Cafe. They are currently looking for investment and offering preferred equity under Rule 506(c), which means they are legally allowed to advertise investment opportunity. If interested, reach out to Jenny Kassan.
- Carol Sanford invites you to the Regenerative Women Entrepreneurs Community, an education and development community for any woman who sees herself as entrepreneurial in one or more realms. Join a fusion, online and local, community of women who want to raise hell, raise the roof and raise their voice about what is possible. The eight annual online education events plus an annual in person event in Seattle which are aimed at the growth of us as people in the work we are bringing into the world. Read more here.
- Second announcement from Carol Sanford: The 2020 Regenerative Business Prize is open for nominations! It is open to all businesses who have aspiration to be regenerative. It is sponsored in conjunction with Babson College and The Lewis Institute. Benefits include free education with Carol Sanford Institute for businesses who make it to the quarter-finals. Plus, an opportunity for finalist to have your business presented to our jury of well-known CEOs, Investors, Professors at top-tier universities and influencers who can make the difference in visibility and success. https://
- Are you a purpose-driven woman in business? Join Conscious Company’s 2020 World-Changing Women’s Summit to build lasting community and dive deep into critical conversations today around equity, race, environmental stewardship, and balanced leadership amid the vineyards of Sonoma county. Register today and take $100 off your ticket with offer code SVC_100. REGISTER HERE.
- An offering from SVC member Nell Derick Debevoise: As an SVC member, I bet you also have people coming to you all the time, seeking ways – especially small, every day actions that fit into already-busy lives – to help solve the existential problems all around us. And/or you’re keen to give people those kind of ideas, whether they’re asking or not! Everyone can get involved in our work, as leaders doing business as a force for good, whether they want to play as consumers, employees, leaders, or investors. But they don’t necessarily know what it would look like or where to start. And so we built an online course, Powering Purposeful Growth, as a primer to this business-for-good concept and movement, with data, historical perspective, best practices, concrete tools to get involved (regardless of your role / age / background / industry!), and honest insights from brilliant leaders in the movement: Sloan Leo, Martin Whittaker, Vincent Stanley, Lorna Davis, Michael C. Bush, and Kate Williams. Sign up now at https://inspiringcapital.
thinkific.com/ through 2/20 using coupon code ICfriend for $150 off, and please spread the word to friends, colleagues, neighbors, family, and anyone else you know who’s also keen to use their time, money, voice, and other resources as a force for good!
- Join 100+ outstanding women social enterprise leaders for SVI (Social Venture Institute) Women in Petaluma, California April 14th-16th for 3 days of problem-solving, learning, innovating, reflecting, connecting, and bonding. Spend 3 days with 100+ women leaders problem-solving, learning, innovating, reflecting, connecting, and bonding. Use Code SVC15 for a discount. See more info here.
- In collaboration with ECMC Foundation, The Chloe Capital National Tour is heading south. Companies should be women-led, based in the U.S. and advancing postsecondary solutions. Apply here.
- Are you a visionary entrepreneur who is ready to expand the impact of your business and transform more lives through leveraging the authority of becoming a published author? Modern Wisdom Press is a hybrid publisher empowering our authors to write the ‘right’ book for their business, retain full ownership of their content and royalties and have a professionally published book in the world within six months. If 2020 is your year to finally become a published author, Modern Wisdom Press is seeking a limited number of exceptional entrepreneurs who are ready to simplify the process of writing and publishing their transformational books. Reach out to [email protected] or visit www.modernwisdompress.com and let’s start the conversation!
- AlphaLab Gear in Pittsburgh, PA has launched their 2020 Hardware Cup, and their Application Cycle is now open. The AlphaLab Gear Hardware Cup is a pitch competition for early-stage hardware startups. This year, they’re touring 6 cities, including San Jose, to find and highlight the most promising physical product startups in the nation. (Companies located outside of these cities will receive a travel stipend to compete at the events.) Winners in each city will receive cash and prizes, as well as a chance to win a $50,000 Grand Prize at the International Finals in May. Any startup with a physical product component can apply: manufactured products, IoT/connected devices, health/medical, consumer products, consumer electronics, food, fashion, robotics, etc. APPLY HERE. Application cycle closes on February 23rd.
- Powerhouse, the hub for clean energy innovation in the Bay Area, is working with Silicon Valley Clean Energy to host the GridShift Hackathon. At GridShift, software developers and energy enthusiasts will come together at Google Launchpad in San Francisco to create solutions for achieving deep decarbonization in the Bay Area and beyond. Over the course of 24 hours, teams will work with the Bay Area’s leading clean energy providers to address issues of resiliency, equity, and access in competition of $16,000 in cash prizes. Use the code SVCIMPACT to get tickets (including food & drink) for just $15. Register here.
- Angel Capital Association (ACA) will be hosting the inaugural ACA Angel University at the 2020 Summit on May 11 and 12 before the 2020 ACA Summit in Denver for accredited investors wanting a deeper understanding of crucial investment topics. The event will consist of two tracks and six courses that can be combined for a customized learning experience based on interests and level of knowledge. Register here for the ACA University Program and here for the 2020 ACA Summit in Denver. Please note that SVC Members get ACA member rates.
- Upcoming ACA Webinar (SVC Members get to access ACA Webinars free of charge): How to Invest (Successfully) in Medical Device Startups, January 29. Register here.
- ACA is launching their annual search for new board members to be added during the 2020 election cycle. Desired nominees should have expertise in our current areas of strategic focus: Strategic/Digital Marketing, Data Analytics and Business Development and Strategic Sales. Successful candidates should also have experience as senior leaders of angel groups or other, relevant organizations. And, of course, we also put a premium on those who have demonstrated the drive and availability to get things done, as this is a very active Board. Other selection criteria will include a history of past ACA activity as well as angel investing thought leadership. As a transparent and open organization committed to representing the broad range of North American angels, we seek a Board that is geographically and demographically diverse. Please submit your selection for the 2021 ACA Board of Directors, term to begin July 1st, 2020, by emailing me ([email protected]
angelcapitalassociation.org) and Governance Chair, Dr. Ron Weissman ([email protected]) by February 7 with a bio of the candidate, the candidate’s LinkedIn profile and the recommendations of at least two (nominator counts as one) ACA members. You can learn more about ACA’s current Board, mission, vision and values here.
- Criterion Institute’s signature convening, Convergence, will take place March 30 – April 1, 2020 in Simsbury, Connecticut. This unique gathering of catalytic change-makers will bring together leaders and pioneers from philanthropy, finance, government, and the social sector to move forward specific and tangible ideas to leverage the power of finance to address gender-based violence. Learn more and register here.
- Join the New England International Donors (NEID) for a multi-part online (webinar) and in-person event that teaches audiences how to adopt new tools to invest towards lasting change! Moderated by Ellen Remmer and Pat Dinneen. During this series will cover how to:
- “Deep dive” into examples of Impact Investments from beneficiaries.
- Identify challenges and risks of unintended consequences.
- Gain practical tips on how to get started and/or scale up. Register here.
- If you haven’t seen the B2B Social Enterprise Directory yet, be sure to check out the new SVC and One World resource, which connects innovative socially-driven startups & small businesses with corporates and larger enterprises. More access to new partnerships + new business opportunities = a stronger social impact ecosystem. Access the beta version here.